Thursday, 24 December 2015

Holding another’s mind in your hands

Collecting quotable quotes have been one of my favorite activities since secondary school. I’ll search for the quotes from any publications that I can obtain which I then copy dutifully the quotes that I took fancy into a notebook. Reader’s Digest was my best source before Brainy Quotes and Goodreads hit the web. From this huge collection of quotable quotes, there are a few which I like the most; such as Socrates’s “The unexamined life is not worth living”, Nicollo Machiavelli's "He who wishes to be obeyed must know how to command" and more. They are my “star quotes” for good or bad.

Among the many pages of quotable quotes that I copied into this weathered notebook of 20 years
Today, I am adding another quote to the list of my star quotes, it is:

When you read a book, you hold another’s mind in your hands – James Burke

This quote is interesting because it cause my philosophical mind can’t cease to wonder when you read this blog, are you holding a piece of my mind in your hands? If yes, it is my honor to share it. So, who is James Burke?

James Burke (b.1936) is a science historian, author, and television producer and “one of the most intriguing minds in the Western World” according to The Washington Post. In 1973, Burke, writing for Radio Times predicted the widespread use of computers for business decisions and the creation of metadata banks of personal information. Burke also discussed his predictions of a post-scarcity economy driven by advances in nano-factories, which he believes may be viable by the year 2043 during an interview on BBC Radio 4 in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment