Friday, 6 March 2015

Investment in Chinese tea

Couple of days back, I received an e-mail from a journalist from a distinguish publication house in Malaysia expressing her interest to interview me and a few other friends on the investment side of Chinese tea. Without much hesitation, we had the interview date fixed. The interview reminded me that I’ve promised some friends that I’ll share the recommended tea for investment in 2015 and this blog is overdue for more than a month.

Bu Lang Shan Production Batch Number 6621
Bu Lang Shan Production Batch Number 6061
Last year, the trusted tea shop owner where I did most of my tea buying recommended batch 2006 green pu erh from the Da Yi (大益七子饼茶) production batch number 8582 with the market rate of around RM 300.00. Read here. In Sept last year, he called to ask if I am letting go of my purchase but I’ve rejected him because I’ve taken a great liking to the tea due to its bitter sweet after taste. I’m now so addicted to this tea and I found that it helps a great lot in digestion, especially after a heavy meal.

This year, Mr Wong, the shop owner told me that it is good to invest in tea from the Bu Lang Shan (布朗山) region which will see an increment in a few months’ time.  As there are many different producers or factories that produce pu erh tea from that region, I asked for a more specific brand. I was told that I can never go wrong with tea produced by Da Yi (大益) and Meng Hai (勐海). I was recommended to invest in 2006’s Bu Lang Shan green pu erh batch number 6621 and 6061. Back in 2010, I’d purchased some 6621 and 6061 for around RM 25.00 apiece. The current rate is around RM 100.00 and it is expected to rise to around RM150.00.

Legend of Tea's Lao Ban Zhang
Not too long ago, a friend asked if I want to let go some green Lao Ban Zhang (老班章) tea produced in 2007 by Legend of Tea (古意斋) for RM 1500.00 apiece which we bought for around RM300.00 back then. The price of Lao Ban Zhang have been going up steadily over the years due to scarcity in growing the tea which can only survive at altitude over 2500m, global warming as well as speculative nature. Those days, I didn’t drink green pu erh due to health reason but I bought the tea anyway as recommended. However, I still have to stress that it is important to only buy and invest from trusted establishments.

In my next blog, I will write about reasons behind investing in only certain aged tea, especially aged green pu erh, certain Liu Bao and why not ripe pu erh or Tie Guan Yin or Longjing or even some Wuyi Shan tea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment