Thursday, 5 March 2015

Chinese couplets for my home door 宅门对联

The couplet on the main door of Mental Cultivation Studio
Nobody can deny that the Chinese society is the most ritualized society on earth and ceremonial rites, whether to celebrate an auspicious event or a mournful one, are all based upon two key foundations of the Chinese identity –Confucianism and feng shui.

According to the rites of a still mourning family, I have to break away from the norms of the previous years for three full years, which includes writing couplets in elegant calligraphy on red papers to replace the old ones on my doors before Chinese New Year on an auspicious date according to the Tong Shu. However, there is a special provision in the law of the rites that allows auspicious door couplets to be pasted on the main door of the house on the 15th day of the first lunar month, which is today. Taking advantage of this, once again, this year, I practiced hard to improve my calligraphy skills to be able to write a few presentable words that shall remain on my doors for the remaining of the year.
On the side door which also serves as my daily door for feng shui reasons. 
Instead of lengthy 14 words couplets that I’ve written for the past few years, I’ve sized it down to only 8 words for the main doors of my house. The words on the couplets are said to be symbolism of the home owner’s wish and aspirations. In 鸿基福地,瑞霭华堂- I wish for a blessed nation and for auspicious lucks to visit the Chinese community which I think is very much needed, judging at the unfortunate events that unfold last year. As for the other door, I’ve written 九州一统,八方共和, with the hope that we are all unified in a peaceful world. 

P/S: Wishes all my friends Happy Chap Goh Meh and Chinese Valentine's Day. All the best for those who have plans to throw and collect mandarin oranges tonight, may you find your valentine. 


2 comments:

  1. 如果仅看上联“九州一统 ”(从东南亚角度看)很有大汉族沙文主义的味道,加上下联“八方共和 ”就平和多了,有和谐之意。

    ReplyDelete