Monday, 12 January 2015

I Fail to Achieve Last Year’s New Year Resolution


It is fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure. - Bill Gates
 
It was exactly one year ago on this date that I made my first ever new year resolution in life. As I’ve mentioned before, I do not belong to the category of people that will make resolutions after resolutions each year or keep a bucket list of things to do but rather the type that will want an immediate execution (and result) of something that crosses my mind. However, I made a resolution last year, that is to lose at least 15kg from my weight back then but I failed.
 
Failing the cut down my weight only made the horror of my wardrobe getting bigger and the difficulties of getting office wear from Brook’s Brothers continue to haunt me. Besides that, another nightmare starts with mom’s constant nagging about my waistline, and worse, her attempt to make me consume slimming products that some of her friends are selling. No matter how desperate I am to shed off a few kilos, I never believe in the short cut via consuming slimming products that are mostly from direct sales companies.
 
There may be a lot of excuses as to why I am still maintaining my excess weight but I rather admit that I fail than giving 1001 excuses about how tragic was 2014. I know that I fail for lack of discipline, persistence and hard work. I did not have the discipline and persistence to follow up with the exercise regime that I set for myself. I was supposed to get back to the squash court but for whole year, my squash racquet was left untouched. I was supposed to pick up golf again and return to the greens but I was busier with the miniature greens at home. The only exercise that I did was a walk at the park after dinner.
 
Above all, I succumbed to the temptations of all the delicious food that are aplenty whenever I visit a place. In 11 Signs that You Were Born and Raised in Malaysia, Nadia Yap is so right to note that a two hour drive to eat your favorite food is not a problem and meals were planned during different meals. Yes, it is in me that I will never mind to drive a long distance and even to a remote place for food and while still having lunch, a question that will never miss to pop up will be: “where should we head for dinner?”
 
Adhering to Bill Gates’s maxim that it is more important to heed the lesson of failure, I think I know what I should do and how to do it. Thus, my 2015 New Year resolution is still the same as that of the previous year – to shed 15kg off my current weight. To make it easier to achieve as recommended in an article published by Time, I should break it down to losing about 1.5kg each month.

No comments:

Post a Comment