Saturday, 1 November 2014

Patience and art of cultivating mini bonsai

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything that you need - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Oh my dear bonsai, thou are like a like pampered spoilt rotten pet, like Baron, that needs high maintenance, difficult to control, constantly in need of mollycoddling and expensive the acquire! However, cultivating bonsai, especially the miniature ones teaches me one thing valuable that money can’t buy: patience. Besides that, the satisfaction and sense of achievement when a bonsai trees acquired certain shape after careful training are beyond words to describe.

For the past few months, I have been tending to various shapes, sizes and types of bonsai trees with the help of Uncle Eng Hooi and I have taken particular liking for the miniature Juniperus Chinesis. I am thankful to Uncle Hooi for his very generous help in selecting the trees and the training of the trees. Without him, I doubt I will be able to do much based on knowledge from books. He should be crowned the walking encyclopedia of bonsai!

The main allure of miniature bonsai is to create the perfect versions of what the tree would look like as the adult and matured tree. It takes years to for a bonsai to mature and take shape but even the best care cannot guarantee the ideal results. Therefore, patience is a must when tending to these precious trees. Bonsai also adopts a very Zen () concept (not surprising since its creators are Zen masters) with its “less is more” minimalist philosophy. More green leaves do not mean it is a nice tree. A note here to my beloved mom, don't frown when I trim daddy's bonsai to what you call "botak", LOL. 

Here are some of my minis Juniperus Chinesis captured through the lenses. They are not considered matured and it will take years before they do on which by then I am not sure what shape they will developed into. Patience, the essence for timeless perfection, with these trees I learned. 











No comments:

Post a Comment