Thursday, 30 October 2014

An unusual proposal for marriage (运用元曲,碧玉箫求婚 )

At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet - Plato

As we were enjoying tea this afternoon, a very close friend of mine received an email from her boyfriend. To her bewilderment, the content of the email is a full script of Green Jade Flute, a Yuan Dynasty Song by the famous Guan Hanqing. Guan was one of the greatest poets during his era and it was said that Green Jade Flute was written by him to express his wish to be made man and wife with a beautiful maiden. I am not sure if my friend will say yes or no to his proposal for marriage but she kindly asked me to translate this beautifully written piece and share it on my blog.

What an unusual and romantic way to propose!  Plato is so right that at the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet and I would like to add that, these poetry are all the author's magnum opus. 

碧玉箫        关汉卿者

膝上琴横,
哀愁动离情;
指下风生,
潇洒弄清声。
锁窗前月色明,
雕阑外夜气清。
指法,
助起骚人兴。
听,
正漏断人初静。

席上尊前,
衾枕奈无缘。
柳底花边,
诗曲已多年。
向人前未敢言,
自心中祷苍天。
情意坚,
每日空相见。
天!
甚时节,
成姻眷?

Green Jade Flute by Guan Hanqing, Yuan Dynasty


With zither on my knees,
I am moved to think the faraway you, my dear.
My fingers play with ease,
On zither strings the melody so clear.
The moon is bright as I see from my window;
Beyond the balustrade fresh is the night.
A touch on the shine,
Would make the poets’ verve freer.
O Hear!
From the water there comes no sound.
Silence begins to reign all around.

At the banquet,
Before a cup of wine,
Beside the flower, beneath the willow,
For years you’ve written fine verses and I’ve sung.
But we still have no chance to share to quilt and pillow.
What before others dare I say?
I can only pray,
Though every day we meet,
O Heaven!
Which day,
Can we be man and wife?

No comments:

Post a Comment