Friday, 1 August 2014

My enormous gratitude 我要对您说声谢谢及感恩

Thank you for putting the smile and sparkle back to me again. 
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. - Albert Schweitzer

Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others. – Cicero
56 days have passed since daddy’s sudden departure on that fateful Friday of 6th June. Much water had passed under bridge since then; my family and I are slowly accepting and adjusting to life without one of our most respected and dearest member. As per tradition, after the 49th day we had descended from full mourning to semi mourning. Then it will be quarter mourning by the 100th day and finally off after three years. Throughout the mourning period there are many observations and rites to follow so as the long list of the dos and don’ts.

Death was like a thief and death was no respecter of man and his creations. When it is here, we will have to surrender to it, probably the only thing that we, the mortals have to surrender to in life. Off and on I will still sunk into my melancholy mood, though not as frequent as the first few weeks. The thought of what was once an effervescent and healthy daddy of mine suddenly became a wooden tablet placed on an altar and became the latest entry into the family’s calendar of death anniversaries is very hard to fathom. 
Hard as it goes, I am glad that I have a long list of relatives and friends from all across the globe for being with me throughout this difficult period. Hence,  I would like to express my enormous gratitude to all of you, all the wonderful people that I met at different stages in life. It will take many more pages and fill a book to mention each of you specifically so I hope you will forgive me for not doing so but deep in my heart, I will never forget the kindness rendered. True friends are hard to come by but I am grateful that I have many of you around me so does my many caring and loving relatives who keep mummy accompany with your phone calls, visitations and the advises rendered. 
Alas, as they said, weddings and funerals have many things in common. They are emotional ceremonies that bring people, especially family members and friends together. They also bring the best and the worst out of people. One silver lining from this funeral is that it gave me the opportunity to see the best and the worst of mortal beings. The worst are not worth remembering or even a slight mention but the best will be remembered for life. Nevertheless I would love to share the writer Lady Dorothy Nevill's famous quote: The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing even at the most tempting moment. 
Once again, thank you very much my dear friends and relatives. Thank you for sharing your shoulder for me to cry on, for creating the atmosphere for me to laugh away the sadness, for doing crazy things especially in Singapore for me to distress, for indulging me with all my favorite dishes, for spending your precious time off with me, for all the words of encouragement and many more. Again, the list is too long to mention everything.  


父母对我恩重如山,您对我有情有义。感激不尽。
P/s: I am bouncing back, though slowly, and I’ll continue to be actively writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment