Saturday, 19 April 2014

The Tiger’s roar will echo on


A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on - John F. Kennedy 

I read with shock and profound sadness on wee hours of 17th April the Whatsapp messages that kept coming in about the sudden demise of Karpal Singh, the Tiger of Jelutong. I was preparing   to sleep after writing a about how we can reduce accidents involving express buses. Moments later, the recollections of my days in DAP slowly emerge one after another and without me realizing, tears flowed down my cheeks.

It goes back to my first encounter with the Tiger at his home during Thaipusam where DAP will set up a tent outside his compound to provide refresher to devotees going to the Nattukkottai Chettiar Temple at Waterfall Road and our many other meetings during party functions.
Politics aside, for many young lawyers of my generation, Karpal is our hero, a great law practitioner that many would like to emulate. I’ve heard so much from friends in the legal fraternity that when they were in law schools in England or Australia, a mere mention of Malaysia will surely followed on with Karpal Singh, Malaysia’s most famous lawyer. I had the same experience too when I was in Auckland.
Every individual has a place to fill in the world and the Tiger filled his well. Today, though the Tiger is no longer around, his roar will echo on……
Ut vos in pace, Mr. Karpal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment