Tuesday, 4 June 2013

The need for MCA to change, New Movement and I


Politics has always been my passion since small, having being brought up in politically conscious family where my grandfather was one of the community leaders in Teluk Intan. It was from my grandfather that I learned not only importance of unity in the Chinese community but also about helping and giving back to the society.

I joined MCA not by accident or by an act of haste nor for benefit but after having thought about it for more than 3 weeks upon the invitation of Tan Sri Ong Ka Ting through an intermediary. At that time I was a rising star in DAP, holding six national and state level positions. I weighted the pros and cons of such decision for I knew I will be labeled as traitor by DAP and wrote a list of what and how I, myself under the umbrella of MCA can do for the Chinese community and Malaysian as a whole compared to DAP. I finally made my decision that MCA is the only party that can be the platform for my political sojourn, hence joining MCA in January 2004 which made front page headlines in all major newspapers.

I observed the party from sideline. After winning big in the 2004 General Elections, leaders became arrogant and refused to listen to the people and the grass root, local leaders jockeyed for positions and benefits as if there is no tomorrow, factional fighting became fierce, thinking that by the next election, they will benefit even more. Everyone took things for granted. If people were to ask me since when did MCA goes into decline, I would say it is not after the 2008 General Elections but since winning big in 2004. Pride goes before a fall.

My close participation in MCA affairs came again when Hoong Ling, via Facebook invited me to assist her in her fight for PJ Utara which I agreed without second thought not only because I knew her since 1988 but more importantly, I still care for MCA and I took pride in being an MCA member. The campaign was tough. 四面楚歌。The rest is history.

Flipping the newspaper one day post GE 13, I came across MCA Change and New Movement. I was excited that finally there are 6 people, two of which I know, Joe Liaw and Hoong Ling, are calling for change within MCA with its 2+1 action plan. At least there are still people who care and want to revitalize MCA. I was elated.

I agree with what they highlighted in the action plan especially the parts of member’s reregistration and candidate for GE selection criteria. These are the two things that I felt MCA leaders from top to bottom have been self-deceiving all these while. Everyone claimed that they are winnable candidates, everyone claimed to be receiving the support of their own division, and everyone claimed that their division has so and so much numbers of members. When the GE13 results were announced, those that deceive themselves face the tragic truth.

Instead of harping on the past, it is better to move forward and change MCA from within, time to start a new no matter how painful it is. It is now time for MCA members to save MCA and I am glad that New Movement is providing this platform for people like me and others with similar thoughts. I hope I can offer my humblest expertise to assist New Movement in bringing change to MCA. For one person to call for change is hard but when countless individual actions adding up, change will be a reality.

Change in MCA may not be important yesterday but it is inevitable today. Without change, MCA will forever disappear from Malaysia’s political scene like dinosaurs disappear from earth.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting blog! I wanna ask if MCA Change and New Movement still represents chinese only? If not, it needs to start writing in 3 main languages (not only chinese) in all its social media such as facebook and website. It needs to try reaching wider audiences like other races and chinese bananas too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    Thank you for highlighting the need for multiple language in New Movement's communications means. Will duly do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reply. For a start, perhaps include english and malay under the mission section on facebook's about page.

      I am waiting eagerly to see New Movements actions in GE14.

      Delete