Saturday, 9 February 2013

Chinese New Year Couplet (春联)


The main door of Mental Cultivation Studio, 2013

Within China and the Chinese diaspora, regional customs and traditions concerning the celebration of the Chinese New Year vary widely. People will pour out their money to buy presents, decoration, material, food, and clothing. It is also traditional for every family to thoroughly cleanse the house, in order to sweep away any ill-fortune and to make way for good incoming luck. Windows and doors will be decorated with red color paper-cuts and couplets with popular themes of "good fortune" or "happiness", "wealth", and "longevity."

Following tradition, each year I’ll have different couplets written in elegant Chinese brush ink on red paper to be pasted on my main door. I had a long thought about it and I wanted something different instead of those about wealth, happiness and etc. etc. for myself。I want to do something for my country. Last year’s couplet was 江山永固,祖国长春 which I had explained its meaning in my previous blog. This year, I made a personal vow that for the years to come, my couplet will be different from other others because I believe in the power of “words” and it is said that those paper-cuts and couplets represent the wish of the owner of the house.

For 2013’s Chinese New Year couplet, I’ve written 喜看江山如画,展望前程似锦. 喜看江山如画 means happy to see that the empire is in good shape like a piece of painting, while 展望前程似锦 means looking forward to see that all future developments are gorgeous and smooth like brocade. I wish that I will continue to see Malaysia’s future in good shape and all its future developments are gorgeous and all Malaysians benefits from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment